BENEFITS OF A BATH FOR THE MIND, BODY & SPIRIT
Updated: Jan 21
Taking a bath is not only good to relax and unwind but it has many benefits for us, physically, mentally & even spiritually.
For centuries, baths have been known as a form of relaxation, being luxurious, soothing, and best of all, healing, especially when we put certain herbs, essential oils, and salt. Rock salt and sea salt have been known to be a natural medicine in stimulating circulation, releasing tension in muscles and pain in joints, and spiritually, salt has been known to help absorb & clear out negative energy.
Here are some benefits of taking a warm bath:
1. Blood Flow & Oxygen Increase. Baths are good to get the blood flowing & increase oxygen in our blood as our hearts pump faster while we bathe. Just make sure not to have the water too hot if you have any heart conditions.
2. Pain Reliever. Baths do wonders for decreasing pain and inflammation in our muscles and bones especially when adding rock or sea salt. If you’re having monthly cramps, you have a great excuse to take some time for yourself and indulge in a soothing bath.
3. Hydration. Our bodies are made up of mostly water so it makes sense that baths add moisture to our skin as we let our bodies absorb all that luscious water into our skin just by laying there. That’s why our skin feels so soft after taking a bath.
4. Better breathing. The steam created can help clear your sinuses and chest. Bonus during the cold season or on those days our allergies hit us and we’re left with a stuffy nose.
5. Energetic Field Clearing. Taking baths with herbs such as rosemary, basil, lavender, rose petals, rue, guinea hen weed mixed with rock salt, and lavender essential oil help cleanse your aura aka energetic field. These plants have medicinal benefits and putting them in the water where you bathe will cleanse you spiritually. This is also a great mix for a foot bath. *Just remember to be careful when doing these baths if you are pregnant, have hypertension or are diagnosed with cancer.
6. Immune Booster. Baths can improve immunity & relieve cold and flu symptoms.
7. Hormone balancing. Cold & warm baths can soothe you in different ways and balance different hormones. While warm baths reduce stress and calm the nervous system, cold baths can wake you up making you feel refreshed, rejuvenated, and motivated to start the day. I recommend easing your way into a cold shower to not go into shock as that can be very dangerous.
*Remember to always seek guidance from a medical professional about taking hot baths if you are pregnant, have hypertension, or are diagnosed with cancer.
Here you'll see a video of me running a soothing bath with lavender essential oil and herbs to cleanse the aura.